Farmstead Cheeses and Wines was founded in 2003 in order to provide the finest in boutique and bargain wines, hand cut artisan cheeses, oils, vinegars and accessories from around the world.
We provide superlative customer service in a convivial and educational environment.
Relax, It's Just Food
is more than just our motto - it's how we approach the often intimidating process of selecting great cheeses and wines with and for our customers.
We dislike food and wine snobs as much as you do, but that won't stop us from finding under the radar and hard-to-find wines and perfectly presented artisan cheeses.
Every week we conduct educational wine tastings in each shop; we also organize and host winemaker dinners at top area restaurants; and always have a good supply of artisan oils and vinegars on hand at the store.
Farmstead's owners and operators, husband and wife team Carol Huntington and Jeff Diamond, bring a passion and knowledge of food and wine that is deep, pervasive, engaging, and fun.
Jeff brings more than twenty years of marketing and public relations experience to Farmstead, while Carol teaches at a public school in Berkeley. Both have traveled extensively in Europe and domestically, always stopping to sample and discover local wines and cheeses.
Recent wine trips trips have taken them to South Africa, Argentina, Tuscany and Umbria, Paso Robles, Willamette Valley, Provence, the Loire Valley, Burgundy, the Rhône Valley, Languedoc-Roussillon, Columbia Valley, the Santa Rita Hills, the major wine regions of Spain, Santa Ynez, Yakima, Walla Walla, Santa Lucia Highlands, the Anderson Valley, and of course, Napa and Sonoma counties.
- Our past and present employees are chefs, restaurateurs, firemen, museum curators, chaplains, musicians, actors, singer-songwriters, martial arts experts, and psychologists - foodies who eschew snobbery and attitude as much as you do, and who live to help you find the right selection for your dinner party, wedding, picnic, or snack.
- Our first shop is located in the Alameda Marketplace along with nine other fine food purveyors and eateries.
- Our second store is located in the heart of the Montclair Village shopping district of Oakland.
- We have a fantastic selection of cheeses and wines with over 150 artisan cheeses and hundreds of hand selected wines, as well as artisan oils, vinegars and gift items.
- We had our first wine dinner in 2005 at Pappo, an Alameda restaurant. Since then we've conducted dinners at Eccolo, Acquacotta, The Bay Wolf, Franklin Square Wine Bar, Rivoli and the Wood Tavern, with many more to come.
- We administer several Wine Clubs that feature great wines from many wine regions all over the globe
- We were named Best Cheese Store 2005, Best Wine Store 2007 by the editors of the East Bay Express.
- We were named Best Wine Shop 2007 through 2010 by the readers of Alameda Magazine
- We were named Best Wine Store in the East Bay 2008 through 2010 by the readers of Oakland Magazine.
- We have an active email/newsletter program, sending out an occasional newsletter filled with recipes, news, and info about new wines and cheeses. To subscribe, click here.